|Born c. 1790 in North Carolina. Died Fayette County, GA 1859.
Berry married (1) in 1813 in North Carolina, name unknown, (2) in Fayette County, Ga., December 13, 1836, Mary (Waldrop) WALDROP, born Newberry County, S.C., c.1815, died Fayette County, Ga., after 1870 (sister of Thomas Davidson WALDROP); lived Richmond County, N.C.; to Fayette County, GA., 1832/3.
Children born to (1) wife:
1. Nazareth NORTON, 1816/17-1870, married 1837, Cassifera BROWN
2. William Berry NORTON, c.1820-1853, married 1843, Olive DUKE of Monroe County, Ga.
Children by (2) wife, Mary (Waldrop) WALDROP:
1. James NORTON, born c.1837
2. Leonora (Lena) NORTON, born c.1839, married 1865, John WICKETT
3. Mary NORTON, born c.1840
4. Rebecca NORTON, born c.1841, married 1865, Henry WARD
5. Elias NORTON, born c.1841
6. Silas NORTON, 1843-1912, married (1) 1860, Martha Jane ?NORTON?, (2) 1865, Frances WEST
7. Celia NORTON, born c.1845
8. Minerva NORTON, born c.1848, married 1867, James L. DAVIS
Fayette County Georgia, April 14, 1855
Berry was drafted into service during the War of 1812.
From Polly (Mary) Waldrop Norton's pension application (provided by William Alton Norton)
dated August 14, 1878 in Fayette County, Georgia # 32495:
"Description of her husband at the time of his enlistment, he was a farmer about 22 years old , born in Richmond County, N.C. about 6 feet high black hair & black eyes, dark complexion. Berry Norton was previously married. Died in Fayette County, Georgia in November of 1859."
Berry was born about 1791 in Richmond County, North Carolina.
He was drafted for six months' service in the war of 1812, at Rockingham, North Carolina. Entered July 29, 1813 at Fort Johnston, North Carolina. Discharged after three months at Deep Water Point near Fort Johnston (now in the town of Southport in Brunswick County, North Carolina.) Reason for discharge; his being a married man.
Berry Norton was paid from July 29, 1813 to October 21, 1813 for three months.
Berry Norton made declaration for Bounty Lands on April 14, 1855. He received 120 acres, warrant # 45.986.
Berry died November of 1859 in Fayette County, Georgia.
(This information is compiled from various researchers and sources. Please contact me for more information or if you would like to add to the data on this page.)